Welcome to the Counselor’s Corner webpage! My name is Jody Shapiro, and this is my 13th year as the counselor here at Pasadena Park Elementary. I earned a Bachelor's Degree from Brandeis University in Boston, a Master’s Degree in Psychology from EWU, and my School Counseling Certificate from Gonzaga.
Before working as a school counselor, I worked as a therapist in the public mental health system. When I'm not here at school, I enjoy traveling around the country, long distance running, listening to music, and learning about history and current events. And I'm a big Boston Celtics fan!
Jennifer Glenn is our Counseling Assistant. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology and a minor in Psychology. Jennifer has worked in the district for 16 years in many different capacities making her well rounded in building relationships with students.
Our mission is to work in partnership with teachers and parents to help students reach their academic potential and develop into responsible citizens. Here are some of the services we provide:
- Career Exploration (including our annual Career Fair and STEM Night)
- CST (Child Study Team) Meetings
- Friendship Group
- Individual Meetings with Students (for school-related issues)
- Kindness Kids
- Lunch Bunch
- Mediation/Conflict Resolution
- PACE (Partners Advancing Character Education) Monthly Assemblies
- Panda Pride Weekly Classroom Lessons (including Kelso’s Wheel, Second Step, PACE Character Traits, and Anti-Bullying Lessons)
- Referrals to Community Resources
- Refocus/Reteaching in the PR room (Counseling Center)
- Schoolwide Reward System (includes Panda Pride Cards, Students of the Week, Golden Ticket, and Panda Paw Classroom Parties)
- Social Thinking Group
- Weekend Food (Bite2Go)
- Worry-Busters Group
Please feel free to contact us in the PR room if your child is having a problem or conflict that is getting in the way of his/her learning. For issues outside of school that require long-term counseling, we can provide you with names of licensed counselors and psychologists in the area.
I continue to be grateful to work at such a wonderful school and to serve the West Valley community. Needless to say, these last couple years have been unlike any in the past. But I know we will still have an outstanding school year full of learning and fun, especially if we work together.
Best wishes for another successful school year!